Saturday 15 November 2014

Old Film

There was a time when it was considered just a general shame if film went past it expiry date. It could still be used of course, but you normally wouldn't take chances by using it for the good family shots during the holidays or on a once in a lifetime vacation. These days there are those who consider a well aged film the photographic equivalent of a well aged wine. I think I can safely assume it hasn't escaped your notice that taking photos that have some sort of vintage look to them is quite a thing these days. There are countless apps and software plug-ins out there made to turn the clean output from DSLRs or the ubiquitous smartphone cameras and transform them into something that, at least on the display screen will look like anything from an 1870s tintype to a 1970s Land camera, complete with simulated peel marks like you get around the edges of pack-film photos.



There are those for whom nothing but the real-deal will do, and while getting the vintage look is hardly a hard-core pursuit of mine that's certainly something that resonates with my way of thinking. Shy of turning to something like a historic wet-plate process (though for the hard-core this has grown into quite a phenomenon itself) the general wisdom out there states that the best way to get this look is to use expired film, a vintage camera, or ideally both together.

Now I own a vintage camera in the Iskra, but as unmistakably vintage as it looks, the vintage look it imparts on images is at best subtle, though I'm sure something like an old box camera would do it. Likewise many a time have I used expired black and white film, some of it decades beyond its best before date, and have found that however fogged and curled the negatives may look, once all is adjusted for in the printing or scanning process there's nothing particularly nostalgia inducing about the final result.

My recent dabblings in home C-41 processing made this the perfect time to finally try something else however. There had been a roll of 120 Kodak Vericolor 160 floating around my freezer since I can't remember when. I last shot Vericolor about eight year ago just before selling the Mamiya 645 system but I'm not sure if this was from that same batch. I don't think it was though and if not it's probably even older. Whatever the case it was separated from its box, and thereby the expiry date, long ago. There is absolutely no doubt however that this roll went beyond its "process before" date long ago.

The question was whether the images shot on this roll would naturally take on any sort of nostalgia inducing look ago all on their own. I have never made a science of understanding what characteristics of an image lend themselves to this. One that I point to happens when the deepest blacks in the photo appear no darker than a light charcoal grey though there is not the loss of shadow detail that would suggest this is due to underexposure. This, or any of the other things that might happen with expired film such as colour shifts or lack of contrast, were entirely within my control. I don't have and have no intention of acquiring the capacity to do traditional colour prints so all of these things should be adjusted for as they are scanned in.

Once processed and dried the negatives did have the expected slightly olive cast to them compared to the Portra negatives I developed the week before, the kind of thing I figured would get corrected out more or less automatically with the usual exposure and colour balance tweaks during scanning. This had worked with the Portra after all without any effort to characterize the film first. I had no intention of treating these negatives any differently.


And yet they were different. To me it there's a nostalgic sense about it, like I'm looking at an image that was taken decades ago. At first blush I'd say it may be the colour saturation is lower than what I'm used to, yet the impression doesn't change when the saturation slider is moved up until the colours start looking unmistakably clownish. It must have something to do with colour though because when I view it as a black and white that vintage feel pretty much disappears, at least to my eye. There does seem to be an earthy quality to the colour rendition that, despite the obviously autumn pallet in the scene. The first shot at the top makes it even harder to say. It's moody, monochromatic and due to the extremes in contrast inherent in the scene the foreground was underexposed to retain detail in as much of the sky as possible near where the sun is trying to burst through. I can't say what this would look like if it were shot on fresher stock. Still, if I hadn't taken it myself and somebody told me it was taken in 1979 I'd see no reason to question that.

Now I know Vericolor enough to say it didn't come out of the factory like this. My wedding photos were shot on it and they haven't (I'm happy to report) taken on a vintage feel, at least not yet. I still have prints I shot on Vericolor in the late 80's or early 90's and they don't strike me as looking vintage. And yes I have to keep in mind that these are scans and I'd dearly love to see what the prints would look like if there was still a lab I could take them to that I know would print them optically, but I somehow doubt the conclusion would be any different. It does seem though that you can get to the vintage stage faster by aging unexposed film stock than aging prints shot when the film was fresh.

I'm sure there are people who have put in a lot of time and effort into figuring out exactly what ways and to what degree a clean fresh image needs to be changed to match the look of a shot that (depending on your age) your parents or grandparents might have taken when they were dating. Luckily we have a short cut available to us, and the results are sure to be far more authentic.








No comments:

Post a Comment